Thursday, February 22, 2007

Bat For Lashes, Brundenell Social Club, 18/02/07

Bat For Lashes was a gig I was uncertain about, but, being only a few doors up from my house, how could I pass? The problem is that its all a Bjorky for my liking, and the problem with Bjork is not the music but the fans, and also, Bjork herself. Musically however the album is well produced, full of interesting florishes and the high standard of musicianship makes up for the fact there are songs about wizards and lyrical refrences to "We're dancers in the dark".

Does it work live? After opening with the excellent first single Trophy, I have my doubts, and after being informed in a South coast accent about having too big a curry for dinner I'm almost wishing that Bjork was here instead. But this is early in the set and things pick up quickly. The band are multi-intrumental and clearly tallented, "Whats A Girl To Do" and "Sara" both benifiting from inventive touches. "Sara" especially stood, with Kahn taking centre stage to stamp out a beat on the mic'ed up floor using boot and a sturdy wooden staff, the sound of which filled the venues accoustics nicely.

An encore of new single Prescilla it was all over. I was left with the impression that I'd seen some imaginitive and well thought out musicianship and that live music in general would benifit if more bands stood up as well live as they did backed by studio wizzardry. For £6 it was a a value for money night out, the event was suprsingly well attended, its I'd much rather see Bat For Lashes play again than wait for Bjork to play in The Brundenell Social Club.

You can watch the new video for Prescilla here

Comments:
Keep up the good work.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?


FREE Hit Counters!