Sunday, August 20, 2006

Who Says A Uke Band Can't Play Rock Music?

My attempt to recover regular blogging extends now into a second post...

A few weeks ago I attended the inaugural Across The Tracks Festival in Leeds. Unhelpful stage times, early train departures and a mixup which mean bottles of pure Finlandia vodka where left on the counter meant that I remember little of the festival itself, but there was one band I was front row centre for, The Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain.
Combining a love of Simon & Garfunkle and destabilizing governments with all Ukulele (And one bass) renditions of Anarchy In The UK, Silver Machine ("For that young man in the front with he sensible haircut") along with Ukulele classics such as Leaning On A Lamp Post, they where the true festival highlight, and the only band whos entire set I caught. The all Uke' sound was fantastic, performance excellent and the inbetween song banter excellent, the only problem was they only played for about 30 mins.

So imagine my delight at finding they're playing in the Salford Lowry, and on good ol' 11/9 as well! Surly there is no better way to overcome uncomfortable memories of terrorist attack and cancelled episodes of Diagnosis Murder. So, if you're after a night out there is no better way to spend £15 than on a ticket for the Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain! And this time, I can have the delight for more than 1800 strum filled minutes.

I can hardly wait.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?


FREE Hit Counters!