Saturday, April 01, 2006

Rollins Remains The Same

Last Monday I went to Henry Rollins deliver his stand up rountine for the, ooh.. fourth times (Could have been five if I'd of caught him in Liverpool). He was back down to The Academy, like the first time I saw him, after graduating first to the Royal Manchester Opera House, then to the largest stage in the North of England, The Lowry, where the act bombed. So, now he's back where he belongs for another sold out show.

Henry Rollins delivers the kind of show you would expect, although slightly lacking in Rock 'n' Roll stories compared to previous outings. The main focus of his concerns now is George W. Bush and although the man deserves some stick he's hardly original comedy or a hard target to take down a peg. Every American comic now has a large part of their set dedicated to saying how they didn't vote Bush and that he man is an idiot. I however disagree, I don't think he's an idiot, I just think he's in the wrong job. Rollins gave great examples of how Bush mangles the Englsih language and gives almost totally unrelated answers, but who amongst us has never done that? And how many of those people consider themselves idiots? While far from the brightest or most articulate person I frequently jumble my words, but I'm a long shot from being an idiot, just a tad dyslexic. And while I believe I can make great acomplishments I know my limits, which includ running giant oil companies and becoming Leader of the Free World. George has just tried to floow and outdo his father accomplishment, someone wanted a puppet in The Whitehouse and this way they both win, and if cocks up, Bush takes the fall. Who would turn down a chance to be President when people all alround you tell you you're perfect for the position? I left the show with some smypathy for the man, which I'm sure wasn't intended.

Anyway, back to the show. Some great stories about his antics on the Trans-Siberian Express, the need for a black woman President (And how great a band name it would make) and his part in The Big Day Out. Without a story about The Ramones or The Clash however, it just ain't the same. I only went this show that my kid brother did gain the advantage of having seen more Rollins shows than me (Its a good concept , it keeps me from getting complacent) and while it wasn't his best show, it was certainly better than then he played The Lowry, I think it was being back in a more down to earth environment.

He also came out with one great point I shall remember for a long time:

"Don't hate or not visit America, after all, its where Devo,
The Ramones and P-Funk come from"

Who could disagree?

I'd also recommend check out Henry Rollins on-line journal, Dispatches, the most updated web rescouce ran by an aging alterntive icon that there is. I've found it shockingly addictive, but then, it has let me find out that a new Rollins Band tour is on the way in August, huzza!

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?


FREE Hit Counters!