Saturday, April 08, 2006

Breakin' In My Winklepicker Blues

I got blisters on my heel 'cause I got winklepickers on my feet
Yeah I got blisters on my heel 'cause I got winklepickers on my feet (Wooo!),
But they're so fine, black and pointy,
In job interviews they'll go down a treat!

I have long been a fan of the winklepicker as my footweatr of choice, problem is they are damn hard to find, expensive to buy and constly to maintain. The inspiration comes from characters such as Nick Cave, Tom Waits and Iggy Pop and I strenly deny any goth connitations assiated with the shoes.

I bought my first pair in 2004 from Pennangalan Dreams, a fine shoe but in constant need of glue, heels and buckle repair. I paid all this due to my might attatchment to them, I must have spent far more maintaining them then they actually cost to buy, but they met thier end by the end of the year. While living in Germany they came for a night out on The Reeperbahn, it was wet, and the soles simply snapped, tearing the leather, soaking my foot. It was late in the night / early in the morning and it was the final staw, perhaps having had one Jagermeister too many the shoes where removed and thrown (By a friend) under a train. I had some great photos of those winklepickers, but like any break up I think I found them too painful to keep hold of and they've gone. However, heres a stock image of what they looked like:


My new winklepickers came to my attention through the Beatle Wear Website, the store of which is suprisngly, in Liverpool. I knew it wouldn't be cheap, £85 and then tax, but I justified the expense by convincing myself they'd help me get a job ("As what?" you may ask) and in order to overcome the guilt I went to give blood. The shop is in itself very interesting, as its owner, Mark Astbury designs and makes all its gear himself. I briefly played the part of winklpicker consultant as he asked me if I though electric blue or firebox red winklepickers would be a hit. I though he was mad, nobody would want them. But I have since found these alarming images on the 'net (Not for hose with senstive eyes):

He went on to tell me how he was rather popular with musicians, and that last year he had Blondie come in the check out his wears. He also asked me if I had a "frock jacket" as he made them to measure and to suit my long frame. I had said no till he pointed out that they where simply a long blazer, at which point I remember I had one and that it was at the taylors (And here he was trying to steal said taylors trade). Mine is however ill fitting and made from a polyester / wool blend, so as soon as I have money (£250 of it) it may face the chop...

But now I know you're all keen to see these £90 winklepickers, black leather, high cuban heel and none of that centre seem rubbish.

I must admit they're a damn fine shoe, but they're sure are murderous bastards when it comes to braeking them in, as the back of my heel will attest to, and it makes even the short walk to Allerton a nightmare. I will perserver however, till these shoes are under control. My grandad said one of his first jobs was breaking i shoes for people, a service sadly lacking today as I coukld do with said service, but maybe I can exploit this hole and start my own own business (Someone else will do all the foot work of course).

So now me and my winklepickers start what I hope will be a long, prosperous relationship, of being tall, pointy and in my opinion, rather stylish. Otherwise, Mr. Mark Astbury will have a lot to ansewr for...



P.S. While writting this article I found that the exact same shoe I bought at Beatle Wear for£95 is avaliable on Pennangalan Dreams for £70 under the name Cuban Chelsea Boot. D'oh!

Comments:
:D!
 
nice post
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?


FREE Hit Counters!