Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Never Judge A Book By It's Cover; The Mosquito Coast

For such a bright cover The Mosquito Coast, Paul Theroux's tale of a family leaving America to start a perfect world, one better than Gods half hearted effort, in the Honduran jungle is dark, obsessive and engrossing.

The last time I found a book so difficult to put down was when I read Henry Miller, and indeed when I begin to warp kids into my own image this is the stepping stone I'll use it to prepare them for Tropic of Cancer.

The author says that this is the story of Charlie Fox but reading the book you'd be forgiven for thinking it is about his father, Allie Fox, the man who will tame the jungle with one precious commodity, ice. A man with a lot to say and grand ideas, a no nonsense man, someone who gets the job done but you certainly don't want to go for a quite pint with.

Charlie looks up to his father, he's his eldest and favourite son, but the story shows how hero worship changes with time, idols fall easily and deep in the jungles of Honduras, when life itself is a challenge, our story teller grows up quick and takes control of situations, just like his father told him.

I could say more, but it would be most dastardly of me to give away any more of the plot, so I shall simply leave you with a very strong recommendation to go out and read this book.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?


FREE Hit Counters!