Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Tourin' Tourin', It's Never Borin'



Yesterday I went on a rail tour, now being unemployed I feel its time to become a tourist and see the places I've been meaning to for the last six months. I wanted to see the West coast, as each year I try travel further in a particular direction than I have done previously, and I also wanted to see the ocean, as I've never seen one before, so I went for the Cliffs of Mohor / Galway Tour.

Bloody early start and fuckin', cold, but I don't mind, I'm hardcore, I just soent ever spare moment on the trip asleep, even missing one of the stop of. We stopped at Bunratty Castle on the way, I had no idea why, but oh my joy when I discovered it was the last produced of Mead! They where selling those stone jars of it, but waiting to get paid today before buying the masses of booze I need to take back to the UK with me.

The Cliffs of Mohor where next, bloody amazing view, a nice introduction to seeing the Ocean. These things are 800ft tall, a bit cloudy out, very windy, but still clear enough to be impressive. Sat right on the edge in order to get a decent photo, just as I risked my life for my art, the camera battery dies.



Went on to see The Burren, where Cromwell once declared "Not enough pete to bury a man, not a tree to hang a man and no water to drown him", which makes clear what his intentions for the place where. I really wished my camera was working here, the place has fantastic atmosphere and I recommend a stop to all visitors.

The West Coast of Ireland reminds me of the Yorkshire Moors, the predominant differences being that Ireland still bears the scars of the Great Potato Famine. From ruined houses, famine graveyards to the pointless walls landlords forced people to make in order to receive food, the reminders remain, especially on the already dark and desolate Burren.

Final stop was Galway, and all I can say for here is that the town square is a half constructed shambles and the kebab shop I eventually found was alright (Not great, but better than the Irish plauge that is Abrakebabra).

Roll on the next tourist adventure!

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?


FREE Hit Counters!