Thursday, September 01, 2005

Free Gig

Last night I was most definitely in the right place at the right time, that is lurking around the RDS arena just as Iron Maiden started playing their set of classic material of the first four albums (A period marking the peak, the certain sound or entire output of many a band). I used to be fairly classic rock, back in the day, that being 2000 when I last saw Iron Maiden from the back of the MEN Arena, and althought I still have yearnings for them, they didn't justify the 60 Euro ticket price so I was counting on a tout.

But there where no touts, so I thought I'd have a walk around the walls to find somewhere with good acoustics and settled by the backstage gate. There where some skater Goth girls who must have only been there for the support act, Mr. Manson, but they seemed to dig what was going on, and they where certainly delighted when somebody came out and started giving away complimentary tickets.


I got in just as they started Run For The Hills, and despite my initial skepticism about seeing The Maiden, I got into it dam quick and was soon singing loudly and badly, headbanging, playing air guitar and doing the devil horn thing, 100% involved in the theatrics. I was glad I was there alone so no one could see me giveing into this guilty pleasure.

I didn't plan staying long, as was proven with Spinal Tap 2, the heavy metal joke only stretches so far, I only wanted to hear two more songs before going and they played them back to back, Number of the Beast and Hallowed Be Thy Name. And oh how I rocked out and got involved with the "Scream for me Dublin" shenanigans!

And all for free...


But wot, no Eddy?



Eddy, sadly missed

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?


FREE Hit Counters!