Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Wicklow Mountain Blues

On Monday me and some friends hired a car to tour the Wicklow Mountains, giving me my first glimpse of Ireland outside of Dublin. First on the tour was Johnny Foxes, the "Highest pub in Ireland", which is also a claim of the Guinness Skylounge and a pub in Brownslow. Similar to this, I've seen at east three pubs in Dublin claim to be Ireland oldest pub, Brazen Head Inn and Bleeding Horse included. Exactly who is in charge of verifying these facts is unclear, but whoever they are, they should be sacked.

Our tour also took in Powerscourt Garden, a country home with exquisite Japanese Gardens with bridges, lanterns and more flowers than I could possibly name and a hidden Blue Bell covered grotto, and an Italian garden which was just grass (That you weren't allowed to walk on). The gardens frequently provide the scenery in movies, including Stephen Kings Pet Cemetery.

Final stop of the tour was Sally Gap, and it was by far the finest point. It was late in the day so we had the place to ourselves, and in addition to the breath taking scenery there as an inspiring wind about. It took the breath away but was made public urination difficult.

So that was it for the day, at least it was supposed to be, but as we drove back to Dublin I spotted an interested site, a pete farm! Nobody knew what I was talking about so I insisted we get out and have a look, so I ran across to grab some and get some photos of their Gormlyesque arrangements. While doing this however, I lost my camera. This o course could have been seen as tragedy, but to me it was only a reminder of the twisted sense of humour of the forces that be, so who could not see the funny side? Irony at its best, and an unforgettable end to the day.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?


FREE Hit Counters!