Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Slayer, Dublin Ambassador, 14/06/05

So many times I've tried to see Slayer...

2001, cancelle due to 9/11
2002, Download, no point going, I'll be seing them in Roskilde..
2002, Roskilde, missed festival due to lost passport
2004, Download, moved stange or cancelled, not sure, either way I missed it
2004, joint tour with Slipknot, moved to Germany after life fell apart

2005, Dublin, finally made it!

Mastodon in support, a good support act, something common with metal gigs as I think back to Alice Cooper with Dio, Anthrax with Motorhead, One Minute Silence supporting Slipknot when they where good, but the only thing to note of thier set is that they finished on a Thin Lizzy cover, Emerald.

In the interval Security tell us that rowd surfing and moshing is not allowed, but I don't think the message got through.

Slayer open with God Hates Us All, I know the message didn't get through, and as the rest of the set provides Bloodlines, Reign in Blood, Mandatory Suicide, Dittohead and the most essential Angel of Death, it's pretty damn clear the message goes unheeded (I'd of got the setlist of the soundman but he would only give it to me in exchange for some wed, difficult as this is a hash town). I do start to think however why, seeing that it took me years to see Slayer, I didn't learn more of thier back catalouge, not very wise of me I must say.

Security however, frequently drag people away, people I dont recall seeing again. They even confiscate cameras, securing the image of Dublin as one incredibly conservative city.

As stunning as it was to se Slayer, I think it might have been to late. Not that I had high expectations, but when Tom Aryaer smiles between songs, then asks us to shout Happy Birthday to his son at the end, you have to wonder just what it took to make Slayer mellow out. Dave Lombardo also seemed better of in Fantomas than his original band, who only graced him one small drum solo, but as Im seeing Fantomas tonight it should all work out fine.

I also saw Kerry King out in Dublins Temple Bar.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?


FREE Hit Counters!