Tuesday, March 08, 2005

Tommy Vance

Some years they just drop like flies.

On Sunday the John Peel of Metal, Tommy Vance died of a stroke at the age of 63. I learnt this on a train, I was so shocked I gasped, drawing attention to myself, and nobody understood my explanation.

Growing up, Friday could only mean one thing, the Friday Night Rock Show on VH1 with Tommy Vance (Which, being on at midnight was actually on Saturday Morning). That show is what saved me from being an Indie kid, it was the only place to see Metal videos, it's how I knew the actions to "Breakin' The Law!" and Cozy Powell had really big hair. It's what fuelled my love of Motorhead and it was the first time I saw The Ramones. It was also the only time I ever saw a Napalm Death video. Fresh from the pub, huddled against The Incinerator we'd watch till 2AM (By that, I mean I watched and nobody else was interested).

It's a sad loss, especially after loosing John Peel. Tommys' gravel voice was as famous and recognizable as Peels bumbling tones (Earning him classic voice over work on "Dumber & Dumber"), and his medium was television over radio (Although he had the first music show that exclusively used CD's).

I don't know what else to say, its a sad loss of a legend in a time when we need them more than ever, someone who was a pioneer, and someone who made a positive difference in my life. At the pub tonight I raised my pint of nut brown ale to him, and that's the best tribute I can offer him.




Tommy Vance
: "ROCK!" 1944-2005

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?


FREE Hit Counters!