Monday, February 14, 2005

A Walk With The Goons

Strange to read The Guardian and find an article Eddie Izzard had written an article about The Goons, must be promoting something...

Oh, what's this opening on The West End tonight, "Ying Tong: An Evening With The Goons". They've already done Tommy Cooper, Mel Brooks is having a good run with The Producers (Which I'm yet to see). Good to see The Goons returning to the spotlight, they never seem to quite get the recognition they deserve and the BBC has still not brought out Q Milligan on DVD, the dastards.

I started listening to The Goons around the age of fourteen, a surreal friend lent me the tapes and my mum stole a copy of "Adolf Hitler: My Part in His Downfall" from a hospital waiting room. I had went through a slight revival just before he died and tried getting my then girlfriend to have a listen. She didn't.

Just a fortnight later Spike Milligan died, his parting message to the world "I Told You I Was Ill". Once, in the glory days of the 70's my University had declared itself an independent state and Spike Milligan accepted the responsibilities of being a figure head, but he quickly turned tail when then army threatened intervention if we didn't stop the nonsense (And out bid to host the Olympics). There was no official marking of our past leaders passing, but I went the pub and raised a pint in his memory, and I still promote his genius to this day.


Also, a good Spike Milligan site.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?


FREE Hit Counters!